Welcome to the GEAR UP Office at Pio Pico MS. We serve the classes of 2024 and 2025 and offer an array of services for our students and their families including workshops, field trips, and academic advising. We also provide leadership, concurrent enrollment, summer programs, and much more with the intention of preparing our students for college and life-long learning. Our office is located in Room 47 for grades 7 and 8 and our staff is here to support students and parents from 7:30-3:45 pm, Monday through Friday. Our doors, arms, and hearts are always open; so come on in!
- Contact GEARUP
- Room 47
- Office Phone: (323) 760-8441
- College: California State University, Long Beach B.A. Journalism; California State University, Dominguez Hills, MA Educational Counseling
- Favorite Movie: Love & Basketball
- Favorite Food: Hot Wings and Salad
- My biggest influence: My parents and my grandmother who taught me the value of an education and for always telling me I could achieve anything if I set my mind to it.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I get to work with young people and help them learn about the endless possibilities they have to create and achieve their future goals. Also, because working with kids keep me young
- College: Santa Monica Community College (Associate of Arts)
- California State University, Northridge (Bachelor or Arts in Psychology and Master of Science in School Counseling)
- Favorite Movie: This is 40
- Favorite Food: Shrimp on Everything
- My biggest influence: Mr. Joyce (High School Counselor), Richard Cortes (College Counselor- SMC) and Cedric Hackett (College Counselor- SMC and CSUN)
- Why I love my job: I love my career as an academic counselor because I am given the opportunity to positively impact the lives of both my students and their families on a daily basis. This position allows me to educate, motivate and support first generation students in a way that provides hope for a brighter more successful future. It is my turn to support my students and their families the same way my role models supported me as I went through the educational pipeline.
- College: University of California, Los Angeles (BA:Chicano/a studies)
- National Autonomous University of Mexico (Study Abroad)
- Favorite Movie: The Good Dinosaur
- Favorite Food: Pupusas and pozole
- My biggest influence: My mom is my biggest influence, she has always been there to support me no matter what. I admire how hardworking she is and her perseverance because even through the bad times she was there to encourage my siblings to do better.
- Why I love my job: families and students. I like to encourage students to push themselves to their fullest potential. I want the students to know of all the opportunities that are out there for them even if they are coming from disadvantaged communities. Also I learn so much from the students and that is really rewarding to me.
- College: University of California, Los Angeles, B.A. Sociology
- Favorite Movie: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse
- Favorite Food: Golden Crunchy Sushi Rolls
- My biggest influence: My parents and my siblings are an incredible support system. My parents’ resilience continues to inspire my own perseverance and my siblings’ energy reminds me why I do what I do. I’d also like to thank all teachers and counselors in Ellen Ochoa Learning Center, Elizabeth Learning Center, and UCLA for shaping my academic journey.
- Why I love my job: As a former LAUSD student, both low income and first-generation, I understand the communities our students are coming from. I get to hear their narratives and what their experiences have been like navigating the school system. Now I am in a position where I can provide resources and guide their academic interests, and that to me becomes the most rewarding experience. I love my job because I enjoy seeing these students find their purpose and thrive in their respective journeys, because ultimately what matters to me is their success.