Welcome to the GEARUP Office at Los Angeles Academy Middle School/STEAM Magnet. We serve the class of 2024 and 2025. We offer an array of services including parent/student workshops, field trips, counseling, tutoring, peer mentoring, and academic advising. With the services we provide, we are preparing our students for college and beyond. The GEARUP4LA office is located in the 2000 building on the second floor. Our staff is here to support students and parents from 7:30-4:00, Monday through Friday. Our doors, arms, and hearts are always open, so come on in!
Our Mission Statement
Guided by compassion and commitment to our communities, the GEARUP team collaborates with students, staff, and parents to build a pathway towards life-long success by inspiring, empowering, and creating confident leaders.
- Contact GEARUP
- 2nd Floor of the 2000 Bldg
- Office Phone: (213)760-8702
- [email protected]
Questions? Contact us at [email protected] (Contact GEARUP).
Maria Goryan Magdesyan
- College: CSULA
- Favorite Movie: My Fat Greek Wedding
- Favorite Food: Anything chocolate
- My Biggest Influence: When I was a senior in High School, many caring teachers guided me in the right direction, but one teacher in particular stood out. Ms. Schwartz wanted to make sure that I continue my education after high school. Ms. Schwartz was always there for me, and she told me that I could dream big! She assured me that I would be able to achieve all my goals despite my family’s financial status. I am forever grateful to her for being my guardian angel and guiding me in the right direction.
- Why I love my job: This job gives me the opportunity to give back to the students. Changing students’ lives gives me motivation to do better. I love working with students from different backgrounds.
- College: California State University Long Beach
- Favorite Movies: Forrest Gump
- Favorite Foods: Italian food, Vietnamese crepes, and desserts
- My Biggest Influence: My husband is my biggest influence. He makes me a better person by knowing him. He is generous, thinks the best of people and enjoys life.
- Why I Love My Job: It is a joy and privilege to come to work every day and be a part of a community of students, families and staff. I am grateful to be interacting and making a positive impact on our students. I learn as much from them as they do from me.
- Favorite Quote: Knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 1Corinthians 8:1
- Favorite Movie: Bird Box
- Favorite Food: Pizza
- My biggest influence: My family is my biggest influence, they are my support system.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because it gives me the opportunity to work with students and families. It gives me motivation to be a better person.
- College: CSULA Bachelors of Arts in Sociology
- Favorite Movie: Antman
- Favorite Food: Kbbq
- My biggest influence:
My parents are my biggest influence they have made me who I am and have helped me grow. They have been my biggest supporters and have motivated me to succeed in life.
- Why I love my job:
I love my job because it gives me the opportunity to help our community grow and prosper. As well as seeing parents supporting their children and motivating them every step of the way.
- College: UCLA Bachelors of Arts in Sociology and Labor & Workplace Studies
- Favorite Movie: Good Will Hunting/Dead Poets Society
- Favorite Food: Ramen, Pupusas, Enchiladas, Hot Cheetos with Cheese, and Ice Cream
- My biggest influence: My family is my biggest influence, especially my mom and my dad, because they have always supported me throughout my academics and personal journeys. They showed me how to always remain positive through adversity by always seeking help to overcome my struggles.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because it allows me to support and guide students from my community with resources that will provide them with better access to higher education.
- Favorite Quote: Laughter is the Language of the Soul