Welcome to the GEAR UP Office at Foshay Learning Center. We serve the classes of 2024 and 2025 and offer an array of services for our students and their families including workshops, field trips, and academic advising. We also provide leadership, concurrent enrollment, summer programs and much more with the intention of preparing our students for college and life-long learning. Our office is located in G260 for grades 7 and 8 and our staff is here to support students and parents from 7:30-3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Our doors, arms, and hearts are always open, so come on in!
- Contact GEARUP
- Room: G260
- Office Phone: (323) 760-8608
- College: California State University, Long Beach B.A. Journalism; California State University, Dominguez Hills, MA Educational Counseling
- Favorite Movie: Love & Basketball
- Favorite Food: Hot Wings and Salad
- My biggest influence: My parents and my grandmother who taught me the value of an education and for always telling me I could achieve anything if I set my mind to it.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I get to work with young people and help them learn about the endless possibilities they have to create and achieve their future goals. Also, because working with kids keep me young!
- College: Santa Monica Community College (Associate of Arts)
- California State University, Northridge (Bachelor or Arts in Psychology and Master of Science in School Counseling)
- Favorite Movie: This is 40
- Favorite Food: Shrimp on Everything
- My biggest influence: Mr. Joyce (High School Counselor), Richard Cortes (College Counselor- SMC) and Cedric Hackett (College Counselor- SMC and CSUN)
- Why I love my job: I love my career as an academic counselor because I am given the opportunity to positively impact the lives of both my students and their families on a daily basis. This position allows me to educate, motivate and support first generation students in a way that provides hope for a brighter more successful future. It is my turn to support my students and their families the same way my role models supported me as I went through the educational pipeline.
- College: East Los Angeles Community College, Administration of Justice
- California State University, Long Beach, Criminal Justice
- Favorite Movie: Freedom Writers
- Favorite Food: Korean BBQ
- My biggest influence: My parents.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because it allows me to serve a population that I can identify with. As a former undocumented, low-income, first-generation, minority student I experienced several educational gaps, but I am beyond thrilled that GEARUP4LA has allowed me the opportunity to help close some of those gaps for our future students.
- College: University of California, Irvine (UCI), B.A Educational Sciences
- Favorite Movie: Napoleon Dynamite
- Favorite Food: Japanese Curry
- My biggest influence: My parents have been the biggest influence in my life. As a first generation Mexican-American, my parents worked labor intensive jobs in order to put a roof over our heads and food on the table. They taught me to become resilient and work relentlessly to achieve my dreams.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I get to work with students and parents, who come from my community, gain access to higher education. I want to make sure all students have the opportunities to explore their interests, reach their potential, and fulfill their dreams and aspirations.