Welcome to Bernstein-STEM GEAR UP
Bernstein and STEM belong to the second of four GEAR UP 4 LA grants operating at eight school sites in the Los Angeles Unified School District. Our unique cohort model follows the same group of students for seven years, meaning our current tenth and eleventh graders – the graduating classes of 2020 and 2021 – have been with GEAR UP 4 LA since 2014.
Fifty percent of our students live within the Promise Zone, an area designated by President Obama’s initiative to expand educational opportunities. They face challenges including transience, living below the poverty line, and being the first in their family to attend college.
In its fifteen years, GEAR UP 4 LA has provided services for over 13,000 students at over twenty campuses. Stop by the GEAR UP office anytime.
- Ms. Kristin Didrickson
- Room B-210
- [email protected]
- Ms. Tanya Henriquez-Koenig
- Room B-210
- [email protected]
Our peer mentor program develops leadership qualities, strengthens public speaking skills, and trains students to become role models for their peers and advocates for their community. As mentors, students reach out to their peers and families with the premise that if individual students have the opportunity to climb the ladder of success, they will bring their families and communities along with them.
AS A GEAR UP MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- serve as a leader and role model to your peers
- get fellow students excited about school and learning
- attend regular meetings to build your leadership skills
- encourage your fellow students to do well in their classes
- become a better public speaker
Mentor Club Happenings
Dates to Remember
- GU Mentor Club Lunch Meetings: every Wednesday. STEM in Ms. Malhi's room 411 and Bernstein in Mr. Owusu's room 508
WOW, SIGN ME UP – I WANT TO BE A PEER MENTOR!
To be a peer-mentor, students must have a 2.0 GPA or higher, a teacher/staff recommendation and parent permission. If you are interested in becoming a mentor, complete the online application. Please stop by the GEAR UP office if you need help completing the application.
Click the button below to fill out an application!
FOR TEACHERS AND STAFF: If you think a student has what it takes to be a mentor, fill out a recommendation form by clicking on the button below!
Questions? Contact us at [email protected] (Ms. Kristin Didrickson).
- College: CSU Los Angeles
- Favorite Movie: Black Panther
- Favorite Food: Shrimp & Ribs
- My Biggest Influence: My parents are my biggest influence in life. I am a kind, passionate, and hard working individual because of them. I have also been fortunate enough to meet wonderful friends who also influence me to do better and to continue my professional growth.
- Why I love My Job: I love working with GEAR UP because my colleagues and students are amazing. I enjoy being part of a team that shares a common goal and works together to achieve it. I also love being a resource for my students.
- College: Undergraduate: The American University Graduate: UCLA and CSUN
- Favorite Movie: Star Wars (Episode IV)
- Favorite Food: Grilled Cheese Sandwich and French Fries
- My biggest influence: My parents have been my biggest influence. They raised me to be compassionate, gracious, and curious. I have also been greatly influenced by the experience of spending my junior year of high school as a student in Germany.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I get to work with an awesome team of people who are passionate and beyond dedicated to students. I love seeing students’ faces light up as they realize their dreams. I also love that GEAR UP follows the students and their families over the course of 7 years, so we really get to know them.
- College: Undergraduate – UCLA , Graduate – CSUN & Cal Poly Pomona
- Favorite Movie: The Matrix (Any) or Comic book movie
- Favorite Food: Ribeye Steak and Pupusas
- My Biggest Influences: My middle school math teacher for believing in me by merely changing my seat (back of the class to front of the class). This mere act helped me learn in her math class and it made me feel smart. I am also highly influenced by my ninth grade English teacher for seeing something in me and recommending me for the Honor’s program at Belmont High School. As a Counselor, my biggest influence is my longtime friend and colleague at UCLA EAOP, Hugo Cristales.
- Why I love my job: I love the fact that I get to work with compassionate people that believe anything is possible for all students. I love GEAR UP schools because it allows me to help students and families that need it.
Senior Academic Advisor
- College: UCLA
- Favorite Movie: Forest Gump
- Favorite Food: I can’t decide.
- My biggest influence: My biggest influence is my desire to fulfill my goals. My parents faced intense challenges to build a living and I am so grateful that they gave me the opportunity to pursue my own dreams.
- Why I love my job: I get to learn every day from many different people. Growing up, I didn’t know about my opportunities after high school and I made uninformed decisions. I grew passionate to make sure high school students know their potential and possibilities, especially those they may have not considered. I feel most inspired after learning about students’ different lives, interests and motivations.
- College: took classes at CSUN
- Favorite Movie: Pride and Prejudice
- Favorite Food: Italian
- My biggest influence: My father was the biggest influence in my life. He came to this country in the 60’s with my mother and 3 siblings, and learned the language and took odd jobs to take care of his family. He took community college classes late in life but always encouraged us to go to college and get an education.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because I love to see the look on a student’s and parent’s face when they find out that going to college is a possibility.
Claudia C. Pena Clemente
- College: Santa Monica College and Bryant College Medical Administrative Assistant program
- Favorite Movie: Temple Grandin and My Name is Khan
- Favorite Food: Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean and of course Salvadorian food.
- My biggest influence: There are two people who has made me the woman that I am. My grandmother who raised me to be a hard working woman and my son who has taught me to always fight back, never give up and understand the world from a different perspective. He has made me a better person and because of him I learn new things every day.
- Why I love my job: I love my job because keeping track of data is a very important part of the grant. I love data and it’s one of my biggest passions.